Friday, March 20, 2009

"13, going on 31"

"13, going on 31"

1990, i left Korea at the age of 12, made my way over to America.
2004, i finally had a chance to visit my home country again.
coming back after the long 14 yrs, I no long felt "at home" in Korea...
everything felt so... "foreign"...
Yet, I felt like my old 12-year old self again... when i was almost 30.
I felt like I could rediscover my old friends, old school, old home again... somewhere hiding deep in my heart.

After short 3-weeks of reminiscing, memory-searching, visiting old friends...
i was on my way back to America... where my fiance awaited.

2005 came my marriage with a "Non-Korean," yet a true soul-mate of mine. who would've ever guessed...?

...fast forward...

2009, January... I find myself back in Korea again.
I never really thought that I'd live in Korea ever again, due to such different customs that I was no longer used to, a lifestyle that was so "foreign" to me now...

Yet, my husband is here with me... an American... like me(?),
yet we both fell right in love with Korea, deeply!

This really is where "Seoul" is!!!
People are so passionate, compassionate, and so caring,...
not to mention... opinionated, rude, and ... well.... in such a rush at all times.
Whatever it is, they will put in there all, at full-force.

To sum up: "Koreans Work Hard, and They Play Hard!"

There are all kinds of people that live here, yet not many are used to "foreigners."
Whenever they see Bryan, some bold people would yell out to him,
"Hey, Obama!"
"Hey, where are you from?"
"Hey, how are you?"

People would just randomly strike up a conversation with foreigners in hopes of improving their English even a little bit; they would stare like there is no tomorrow if you're an English-speaker.
Actually, if they would stare no matter what... haha.
They stare at your clothes, your shoes, your bag, purse, glasses, hat,... whatever they can get their eyes on. But you can't blame them... when we all share the same public transportation and have nothing better to do, ...than to stare across from where we are sitting. ^^*

So far, I am really enjoying my life in Korea.
Yes, we do live in a small place with only 1/2 kitchen... but sometimes I feel like we're really living it up!
I love the teaching experience that I am gaining through CDI, exporting business experience through many different manufacturers and contractors in Dong Dae Moon.

Every Day is a life experience and Every Day brings us something new.
The slow pace of America no longer exists... Everything is SO rapid here!
We're only slightly adjusting for now...

Korea has so much to offer... i'm not so sure that I can really digest everything.

I am in LOVE with Korea,
the country that gave me life,
the country that shares the same birthday as me,
the country that I never learned to appreciate much,
the country that I am just starting to get to know... ^^*

No comments: